Master of Arts
The Master of Arts program provides theological grounding if you are:
- Curious and want to understand your faith more deeply
- Pursuing ministry in the world as part of either your vocation or avocation
- Looking for a flexible curriculum
It also allows you to self-design a degree plan for specialized studies such as:
- Faith and politics
- Faith and health
- Prison ministry
- Multicultural ministry
Most students will normally complete the degree in three-to-four semesters.
The Master of Arts degree is customizable to your needs. You will complete 36 credit hours of course work in the regular curriculum. Only one course (IS-100) is required. You will complete this course your final semester and it includes a final project.
The only other coursework limitation is when courses require prerequisites.
The faculty advisor is available to help guide you through the process of designing your M.A. degree.
Additionally, below are suggested outlines to help you design a flexible curriculum within the 36 credit hours.
- These are suggested templates; these are not lists of required courses.
- The options below do not count as specializations or certificate programs unless specifically labeled as such.
- M.A. Seeking UMC Deacon's Orders
- M.A. with Urban Ministry Specialization
- M.A with Missional Church Specialization
- M.A. with Theology & the Arts Certificate
- M.A. with NCSS Public Theology Coursework
- M.A. with Pastoral Care Coursework
- M.A. with Theology Courses
- M.A. with Foundational Courses
- M.A. with Homiletics Coursework
- M.A. with Bible Coursework
- To be ordained as a deacon in The United Methodist Church, you must take these.
- These are church requirements for ordination and not a seminary requirement.
- These can be taken as electives or at some point apart from the degree work.
- History and Doctrine in Methodist Traditions (4 credit hours) ST-460 and -461, ST-462, or ST-463 and -464
- Polity of the United Methodist Church (2 credit hours) CM-251
- Evangelism (2 or 3 credit hours) CM-270 or other courses as offered