The 2021 Course of Study Graduation will be held virtually July 29, 2021 at 4pm. The bulletin for the service is attached. Please join me in honoring our six 2020 graduates and well as the twenty-five set to graduate in 2021. The bulletin for the program is attached. The service will begin promptly at 4pm and the link will be available soon.
updated June 25, 2020
The summer weekend (DC only) and fall weekend sessions for all locations will be offered fully on-line. We have not yet made a decision about the winter and spring, however the likelihood that they also will be on-line is high. Please watch these announcements for further information. We are available to answer your questions or help you with your schedule anytime. please send an email to Sara Sheppard.
updated April 23, 2021
Below are the deadlines to register for courses:
September 1: Fall weekend ( DC, UNY, New England and Philly)
December 1: Winter weekend (DC, UNY, Philly)
February 1: Spring weekend (DC, UNY, New England and Philly)
April 1: July Intensive term
Announcement April 2021
- Registration for the fully online July program is open until May 15th. Download the registration form here.
- We anticipate all COS courses to be offered on-line through the Winter term. We *may* move to in per in the spring 2022. Please watch for updates.
Announcement October 2020
- We are currently working toward a fully on-line July 2021 program. We will send out information as soon as our plan is approved by the GBHEM. We are looking forward to offering courses for you in July 2021.
Announcement May 2020
- The fall New England courses are scheduled to take place at The Rock Church in New Hampshire. Please check the schedule above for courses and dates. Also, please remain flexible as we do not know yet if we will be face to face in September or if courses will need to remain online. Wesley will make this determination in June and the COS program will follow their decision. Be Safe! Be Well!
Announcement April 2020
- Wesley is canceling the July 2020 session. We have added courses to the weekend sessions to make up all 20 courses. Read the announcement here.
Announcement March 2020
- ALL Weekend COS programs for the spring term are now on-line due to the current health emergency.
- Read this COVID-19 Update
Announcement January 2020
- Students enrolled in satellite courses will receive their system log on and password information via email. Questions should be directed to Barbara Papendorp. Once you receive it, please log on to check that it works. To log onto Blackboard please view this video.
Announcements July 2019
- The Wesley July Course of Study program is currently transitioning to a hybrid format. This will take effect July 2020. You can read about the changes in this document.
- Wesley also announces the launch of a Satellite school in Syracuse New York. This location is replacing the Buffalo Extension school. Courses will be held at the UNY Conference Center in Liverpool, NY and managed by the Wesley COS Office in Washington, DC. The course schedule for the new Upper New York Satellite school can be viewed above.
Announcements July 2018
- As of July 1, 2018 Course of Study students must complete both CS 122 Theological Heritage; Introduction and CS 12 1 Bible 1: Introduction before registering for addition history courses or Bible courses.
- We have changed the July 2019 registration form back to our original form as the on-line form was confusing and causing students to register for course they did not want to need to take. Please obtain the signatures of your DS and LLP Registrar before returning to Wesley.
- The GBHEM is now asking that students obtain their PID (personal Identification number) from GBHEM when registering. You should include this on the registration form. this means you have two student ID's; one for the GBHEM to track all of your courses and one from Wesley so we can register you for classes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your PID number.
To register for courses select the program by clicking on the program name. Complete the form (all forms are writable pdf's - so you type directly into them, save on your computer under a NEW NAME and forward in an email to your DS and LP registrar) and obtain the signatures of your DS and Local Pastor Registrar. Return the form to Wesley either via email email@example.com or mail as directed on the form.
All weekend courses will be fully on-line until further notice. Please email us with specific questions.
2021-2022 Registration forms
Register for July 2021 -Registration is Closed for July 2021. July program information
Register for Weekend Course of Study School - All 20 courses are being offered over the academic year fully on-line.
Click here for the July 2021 Registration Form. Registration is Closed for the 2021 July term. Deadline to register is May 15, 2021.
Click here for program costs updated 12/3/2020
The July 2021 Intensive program will be offered fully-on due to the ongoing pandemic. The format has changed slightly. Students will register for one course per week of the four week July program. Most courses will have a pre-course assignment and then zoom synchronous class sessions for a few hours each day the week the class is scheduled. Course assignments will be linked below and updated as they are received. To download the syllabus please click to course title. You can email faculty directly with questions by clicking their name.
We will be adding more information soon as our plans fall into place. Thank you for your patience. If you have a question - please call Sara Sheppard at 202-885-8688 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Week one; July 5 - 9, 2021
CS 122 Theological Heritage 1: Introduction Doug Tzan
CS 221 Bible 2: Torah and Israel's History Amy Jones
CS 322 Theological Heritage 3: Reformation David Evans
CS 421 Bible 4: Prophets, Psalms and Wisdom Lit Rebecca Abts Wright
CS 522 Theology in the Contemporary Church Don Dotterer
Week two; July 12- 16, 2021
CS 124 Transformational Leadership Tim Baer
CS 222 Theological Heritage 2: Early Church Charles Harrell
CS 321 Bible 3: Gospels Katherine Brown 5/28/21 This syllabus has been updated
CS 424 Ethics Gary MacDonald
CS 524 Theological Reflection: Practice of Ministry Tony Hunt
Week three; July 19-23, 2021
Week four; July 26-30, 2021
CS 123 Formation for Discipleship Gina Campbell
CS 224 Administration and Polity Tim Baer
CS 323 Congregational Care Michael Koppel
CS 422 Theological Heritage 4: Wesleyan Movement Joye Jones
CS 521 Bible 5: Acts, Epistles and Revelation Jamie Coles Burnette
Click here for the Howes/Larson Scholarship application (coming soon)
Weekend Course of Study is available to both part-time and full-time local pastors so that they may accommodate their secular job schedules. Each class takes place over two weekends scheduled about one month apart. Some courses are offered in a hybrid format (Summer and Winter Term only) so that the first half of the class is on-line and the second class is on campus. Wesley offers up to four courses each session. Students should choose one course from each offering as they run concurrently.
Please note that due to the on-going pandemic, all courses are fully on-line until further notice.
Pre-course assignments are hyperlinked to the course title below. Print or view the assignments here. Assignments are added as they are received from the faculty. Questions? please contact Sara Sheppard 202-885-8688 A schedule of courses can be printed here.
2021-2022 Academic Year
- We are not holding weekend courses for the August/ Sept session in 2021
- Download the registration form for Weekends here
- We have not scheduled any courses at the Philadelphia or New England locations for this next year
- All courses are scheduled as fully online for the fall and winter sessions. We may hold spring face to face. This is TBD.
Fall Weekend Session October 8-9 and November 5-6, 2021 Please be sure to log on to Blackboard and check your course requirements. Courses will be opened no later than two weeks prior to the start of class when the faculty have uploaded content. You must have a working Wesley student log in to participate in this course. Check your Wesley email often!!
CS121 Bible 1: Introduction TBD
CS124 Transformational Leadership with Ann Michel
CS 222 Theological Heritage 2: Early Church with Charles Harrell
CS322 Theological Heritage 3: Reformation with John Tyson
CS423 Mission with Aaron Bouwens
CS521 Bible 5: Acts, Epistles and Revelation with Jamie Coles Burnette
CS522 Theology in the Contemporary Church with Don Dotterer
Winter Weekend Session January 21-22 and February 18-19, 2022 Please be sure to log on to Blackboard and check your course requirements. Courses will be opened no later than two weeks prior to the start of class when the faculty have uploaded content. You must have a working Wesley student log in to participate in this course. Check your Wesley email often!!
CS 122 Theological Heritage 1: Introduction with Doug Tzan
CS 123 Formation and Discipleship with Gina Campbell
CS 224 Polity and Administration with Tim Baer
CS 321 Bible 3: Gospels with Katherine Brown
CS 323 Congregational Care with Michael Koppel
CS 422 Wesleyan Movement with John Tyson
CS 523 Evangelism with Doug Powe
Spring Weekend Session March 11-12 and April 8-9, 2022 Please be sure to log on to Blackboard and check your course requirements. Courses will be opened no later than two weeks prior to the start of class when the faculty have uploaded content. You must have a working Wesley student log in to participate in this course. Check your Wesley email often!!
CS 221 Bible 2: Torah and Israel's History with Amy Jones
CS 223 Worship and Sacraments with Sarah Elewononi
CS 324 Preaching with Mandy Sayers
CS 421 Bible 4: Prophets, Psalms and Wisdom Literature with Denise Hopkins
CS424 Ethics with Gary MacDonald
CS 524 Practice of Ministry with Tony Hunt
Wesley uses Blackboard, an on-line learning tool to disseminate course information and as a platform for all on-line courses. To log on to Blackboard please view this video.
A few hints to make navigating Blackboard a little easier:
- You should always write your course work outside of blackboard using Word or a similar word processing package. Upload your papers to the blackboard course just as you would attach something to an email.
- You should log into blackboard using either Google Chrome or Firefox. Blackboard is not supported by Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox can be downloaded for free from the internet.
- You should always keep a back up for your work. Always!
- Proof read! Don't rely on the spelling package with your work processor. It makes mistakes! Make sure your paper says what YOU want it to say.
- If you need assistance with writing, consider enrolling in a writing course at your local community college.
Grades are not reported via Blackboard. Your professor may keep a tally of your grade on Blackboard, however the process of recording and reporting them to Nashville is a separate thing altogether. We will send out grades to students as soon as we have received them from the faculty.
Questions? Please let me know at email@example.com
The New England Satellite School serves part-time local pastors in the New England and New York and Upper New York areas of the North East Jurisdiction. Four courses are offered each year with two offered in Bangor, Maine in the fall and two offered in New Hampshire in the spring. Other locations maybe added in the future as program need dictate.
Update 3/10/2021: Wesley Theological Seminary is not offering courses at this location for the rest of 2021 and into 2022. Once the pandemic restrictions lift we will revisit this location. Until then, all courses are being offered fully on-line. You can view the course schedule here. Download the Weekend registration from here.
Please call 202-885-8688 with any questions or concerns.
Courses at the Upper New York Satellite school will begin in the 2019 fall term at the UNY conference center in Liverpool, NY.
With winter starting to bear down on us, please stay up to date on UNY conference center closings. Please check Blackboard and the UNY conference center website: https://www.unyumc.org/ Program information can be found here: http://www.unyumc.org/ministries/course-of-study-satellite-school
In the event we need to cancel due to weather we will make alternative arrangements so that all students are able to complete the course.
Download the UNY 2020-2021 Course schedule here. Updated April 8, 2020
Spring Course Schedule March 19-20 and April 23-24, 2021 Registration Deadline is February 15, 2021 *Note: These courses will be taught fully on line.
CS421 Bible 4: Prophets and Psalms with Dr. Jonathan Lawrence
Syllabus is available here
- The Dates for the Evangelism course will follow the DC Weekend program. We have combined the two sections into one. March 12-13 and April 16-17, 2021. Please note these dates in your calendar!
The Philadelphia Satellite School is located near West Chester, PA just outside of Philadelphia, PA. Courses are offered on the weekends with the first weekend in a Friday/Saturday format followed by two full Saturdays. To download the course information, click on the course title in purple.
Update 3/10/2021: Wesley Theological Seminary is not offering courses, other than the spring session listed below, at this location for the rest of 2021 and into 2022. Once the pandemic restrictions lift we will revisit this location. Until then, all courses are being offered fully on-line. You can view the course schedule here. Download the Weekend registration from here.
Spring Session March 12-13 and Saturdays April 17 and May 8, 2021 *NOTE: this course fully on-line - watch for updates
Registration deadline February 15, 2021
In 2015 the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry undertook a curriculum revision for the Course of Study. Below you will find document that will assist you with navigating those changes if you were already in process. Please feel free to contact the Course of Study Office at Wesley for assistance. Sara Sheppard will provide you an audit of your program upon request. 202-885-8688