July 2022 COS Registration is now closed. We are currently registering for all weekend sessions for 2022-2023. The weekend COS program starting with fall (October/November) will be in a hybrid format. The first half will be synchronous (on-line via Blackboard) and the second half will take place in person over a weekend as indicated in the Weekend COS dropdown menu below. The in-person sessions will be held either on Wesley's campus in Washington, DC or at the UNY Conference Center near Syracuse, NY. The in-person weekend sessions begin a 1pm on Friday and end at 1pm on Saturday. Wesley will provide information about housing as soon as it is available on the weekend COS dropdown below.
Below are the deadlines to register for courses:
September 1: Fall weekend ( DC, UNY, New England and Philly)
December 1: Winter weekend (DC, UNY, Philly)
February 1: Spring weekend (DC, UNY, New England and Philly)
April 1: July Intensive term
Announcement May 24, 2022
- Registration for the July 2022 term is now open. All 20 courses will offered as hybrid on-line courses with the first half asynchronous on-line and the second half on zoom for one week in July. July Registration is now closed.
- Weekend COS Registration for 2022-2023 is open. The registration is available in the dropdown below.
- Folks planning on graduating in July 2022 should be in touch with Sara Sheppard.
Announcement August 1, 2021
- Registration for the fall session will close September 1, 2021. Please register for course before that time.
- Wesley will hold three weekend sessions, Fall, Winter and Spring. All 20 courses will be offered over these three sessions.
- When we do return to face to face learning, everyone will be required to present proof of vaccination to come on to campus. We will roll out those procedures after the first of the year in preparation for the weekend spring session.
Announcement April 2021
- Registration for the fully online July program is open until May 15th.
- We anticipate all COS courses to be offered on-line through the Winter term. We *may* move to in per in the spring 2022. Please watch for updates.
Announcement October 2020
- We are currently working toward a fully on-line July 2021 program. We will send out information as soon as our plan is approved by the GBHEM. We are looking forward to offering courses for you in July 2021.
Announcement May 2020
- The fall New England courses are scheduled to take place at The Rock Church in New Hampshire. Please check the schedule above for courses and dates. Also, please remain flexible as we do not know yet if we will be face to face in September or if courses will need to remain online. Wesley will make this determination in June and the COS program will follow their decision. Be Safe! Be Well!
Announcement April 2020
- Wesley is canceling the July 2020 session. We have added courses to the weekend sessions to make up all 20 courses. Read the announcement here.
Announcement March 2020
- ALL Weekend COS programs for the spring term are now on-line due to the current health emergency.
- Read this COVID-19 Update
Announcement January 2020
- Students enrolled in satellite courses will receive their system log on and password information via email. Questions should be directed to Barbara Papendorp. Once you receive it, please log on to check that it works. To log onto Blackboard please view this video.
Announcements July 2019
- The Wesley July Course of Study program is currently transitioning to a hybrid format. This will take effect July 2020. You can read about the changes in this document.
- Wesley also announces the launch of a Satellite school in Syracuse New York. This location is replacing the Buffalo Extension school. Courses will be held at the UNY Conference Center in Liverpool, NY and managed by the Wesley COS Office in Washington, DC. The course schedule for the new Upper New York Satellite school can be viewed above.
Announcements July 2018
- As of July 1, 2018 Course of Study students must complete both CS 122 Theological Heritage; Introduction and CS 12 1 Bible 1: Introduction before registering for addition history courses or Bible courses.
- We have changed the July 2019 registration form back to our original form as the on-line form was confusing and causing students to register for course they did not want to need to take. Please obtain the signatures of your DS and LLP Registrar before returning to Wesley.
- The GBHEM is now asking that students obtain their PID (personal Identification number) from GBHEM when registering. You should include this on the registration form. this means you have two student ID's; one for the GBHEM to track all of your courses and one from Wesley so we can register you for classes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your PID number.
To register for courses select the program by clicking on the program name. Complete the form (all forms are writable pdf's - so you type directly into them, save on your computer under a NEW NAME and forward in an email to your DS and LP registrar) and obtain the signatures of your DS and Local Pastor Registrar. Return the form to Wesley either via email email@example.com or mail as directed on the form.
As of the Fall 2022 Weekend session Wesley's COS Weekend program is moving to a hybrid format. The first session will be asynchronous using Blackboard and the second session will be held in person either on campus at Wesley or in UNY. Please email us with specific questions.
Register for 2022-2023 Weekend Course of Study School - All 20 courses are being offered over the academic year. Courses are offered in a hybrid format; half asynchronous on-line using Blackboard and one weekend in person either at Wesley Seminary in Washington DC or the UNY Conference Center near Syracuse, NY.
Registration for the July 2022 program is closed.
Print off the 5 year projected schedule here. Note: This schedule has been updated from previous versions.
Weekend Course of Study is available to both part-time and full-time local pastors so that they may accommodate their secular job schedules. Each class takes place over two months with the first half on-line via Blackboard and the second half meeting in-person over a weekend. Wesley offers all 20 course over the course of the academic year in the weekend program. Students should choose one course from each session as they run concurrently.
Pre-course assignments are hyperlinked to the course title below. Syllabi are added as they are received from the faculty and will be posted starting in August 2022. Questions? Please contact Sara Sheppard 202-885-8688.
2022-2023 Academic Year
- We are no longer holding weekend courses in the summer weekend session (August/September)
- We have not scheduled any courses at the Philadelphia or New England locations for this next year
- All courses are scheduled as hybrid: 50% online and 50% (or one weekend) in-person either in DC or the UNY Conference center.
Fall 2022 Session
Offered at Wesley in DC - These courses will be offered fully on-line. Please check the syllabus, when available, for the course schedule.
Offered at UNY Conference Center - These courses will be offered in a hybrid format; October on-line and November 4-5, 2022 at the UNY Conference Center. Please check the syllabus, when available, for details.
CS-322 Theological Heritage: Reformation with TBD
CS-423 Mission with Dr. Aaron Bouwens
CS-521 Bible 5: Acts, Epistles and Revelation with Dr. Burnette
January 2023 on-line/ In person February 17-18, 2023
Offered at Wesley in DC
CS-123 Formation and Discipleship TBD
CS-222 Theological Heritage: Early Church with Dr. Charles Harrell
CS-523 Evangelism with Dr. Doug Powe
Offered at UNY Conference Center
CS-122 Theological Heritage 1: Introduction with Dr. Doug Tzan
CS-224 Administration and Polity with Dr. Tim Baer
CS-321 Bible 3: Gospels with Dr. Katherine Brown
CS-422 Theological Heritage 4: Wesleyan Movement with Rev Joye Jones
March 2023 on-line/In person April 14-15, 2023
Offered at Wesley in Washington, DC
CS-124 Transformative Leadership with Dr. Ann Michel
CS-221 Bible 2: Torah and Israel's History TBD
CS-424 Ethics with Dr. Gary MacDonald
Offered at UNY Conference Center
CS-223 Worship and Sacraments with Dr. Sarah Elewononi
CS-324 Preaching with Dr. David Cooke
CS-421 Bible 4: Prophets TBD
CS-524 Practice of Theology with Dr. Tony Hunt
Tuition $350.00 per class
Registration fee TBD (this fee is non-refundable should students withdraw from the course)
We are currently assessing the July 2022 program and will post information regarding the July 2023 Course of Study School as soon as possible.
Course assignments will be linked below and updated as they are received. To download the syllabus please click to course title. You can email faculty directly with questions by clicking their name.
We will be adding more information soon as our plans fall into place. Thank you for your patience. If you have a question - please contact Sara Sheppard via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Week One Morning Class
CS 122 Theological Heritage 1: Introduction Doug Tzan
CS 221 Bible 2: Torah and Israel's History Amy Jones
CS 322 Theological Heritage 3: Reformation David Evans
CS 421 Bible 4: Prophets, Psalms and Wisdom Lit Rebecca Abts Wright
CS 522 Theology in the Contemporary Church Don Dotterer
Week One Afternoon Class
CS 124 Transformational Leadership Aaron Bouwens
CS 222 Theological Heritage 2: Early Church Charles Harrell
CS 321 Bible 3: Gospels Katherine Brown
CS 424 Ethics Gary MacDonald
CS 524 Theological Reflection: Practice of Ministry Tony Hunt
Week Two Morning class;
Week Two Afternoon class;
CS 123 Formation for Discipleship David Cooke
CS 224 Administration and Polity Tim Baer
CS 323 Congregational Care Michael Koppel
CS 422 Theological Heritage 4: Wesleyan Movement Joye Jones
CS 521 Bible 5: Acts, Epistles and Revelation Jamie Coles Burnette
Click here for the Howes/Larson Scholarship application (coming soon)
Courses at the Upper New York Satellite school began in the 2019 fall term at the UNY conference center in Liverpool, NY.
Before traveling, always check the local weather stations to keep up with any possible closings. We will do our best to send out notifications when warranted. Please check Blackboard and the UNY conference center website: https://www.unyumc.org/ Program information can be found here: http://www.unyumc.org/ministries/course-of-study-satellite-school
- Current course schedules can be found in the drop down above. We will begin to post fall syllabi in August 2022.
- Wesley will provide a list of possible hotels for students upon receiving a completed registration form.
- Students in the UNY conference should be sure to forward the grade reporting paperwork to the Wesley COS Office to be completed. Please forward to email@example.com
- Final grades are mailed to students approximately one month after the last class. Final grades are generally not available on Blackboard.
- The address for the Conference Center is: 7481 Henry Clay Blvd., Liverpool, NY 13088
- Students are on their own for all meals except Friday dinner during the one face-to-face meeting per session which the seminary will arrange at the conference center.
Questions? Please contact Sara Sheppard at 202-885-8688
The 2022 Course of Study Graduation will be held virtually on July 22, 2022 at 4:00pm. We will post the link on face book and on this website.
If you believe you have completed all 20 courses and are ready to graduate, please contact Sara Sheppard asap. The deadline to apply has passed, however we will work with you to include you for this year if at all possible.
Wesley uses Blackboard, an on-line learning tool to disseminate course information and as a platform for all on-line courses. To log on to Blackboard please view this video.
A few hints to make navigating Blackboard a little easier:
- You should always write your course work outside of blackboard using Word or a similar word processing package. Upload your papers to the blackboard course just as you would attach something to an email.
- You should log into blackboard using either Google Chrome or Firefox. Blackboard is not supported by Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox can be downloaded for free from the internet.
- You should always keep a back up for your work. Always!
- Proof read! Don't rely on the spelling package with your word processor. It makes mistakes! Make sure your paper says what YOU want it to say.
- If you need assistance with writing, consider enrolling in a writing course at your local community college.
Grades are not reported via Blackboard. Your professor may keep a tally of your grade on Blackboard, however the process of recording and reporting them to Nashville is a separate thing altogether. We will send out grades to students as soon as we have received them from the faculty.
Questions? Please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org
The New England Satellite School serves part-time local pastors in the New England and New York and Upper New York areas of the North East Jurisdiction. Four courses are offered each year with two offered in Bangor, Maine in the fall and two offered in New Hampshire in the spring. Other locations maybe added in the future as program need dictate.
Update 3/25/2022: Wesley Theological Seminary is not offering courses at this location for the rest of 2021 and into 2022.
Please call 202-885-8688 with any questions or concerns.
The Philadelphia Satellite School is located near West Chester, PA just outside of Philadelphia, PA. Courses are offered on the weekends with the first weekend in a Friday/Saturday format followed by two full Saturdays. To download the course information, click on the course title in purple.
Update 3/25/2022: Wesley Theological Seminary is not offering courses, other than the spring session listed below, at this location for the rest of 2021 and into 2022.
In 2015 the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry undertook a curriculum revision for the Course of Study. Below you will find document that will assist you with navigating those changes if you were already in process. Please feel free to contact the Course of Study Office at Wesley for assistance. Sara Sheppard will provide you an audit of your program upon request. 202-885-8688