Master of Theological Studies
The Master of Theological Studies at Wesley will help you:
- Do focused academic study.
- Prepare you for further graduate studies.
- Enter the dual-degree options with American University's programs in International Peace and Conflict Resolution and International Development.
Visit the AU Dual Degree page for more information about American University's programs.
How long will it take me to finish the M.T.S.?
Most students can finish in a minimum of:
- 2 years of full-time study or
- Within 6 years from the date of admission.
How many credit hours and what courses must I take?
You need to complete 60 hours of course work, including courses in the following areas:
- Biblical Interpretation (BI)
- Church History (CH)
- Systematic Theology (ST)
- Possible course work in Ethics (ES), Pastoral Care (PC), and World Religions/Ecumenics (WR)
- Completion of an M.T.S. thesis.
What if I want to earn another degree along with the M.T.S?
Completing the M.T.S. in conjunction with the M.Div. degree requires you to:
- Take a minimum of 111 semester hours and
- Complete both degree program requirements.
What courses am I required to take?
See the catalog for a full description.
- Introduction to Hebrew Bible (6 hours) BI-101 and -102
- Introduction to the New Testament (6 hours) BI-171 and -172
- The Church in History (6 hours) CH-101 and -102
- Systematic Theology (6 hours) ST-305 and -306
- Religion and Society (4+ hours) Religion and Society courses must include 2 courses in at least 2 of the following areas:
- Sociology of Religion
- Pastoral Care and Counseling
- World Religions/Ecumenics
- M.T.S. Thesis (IS-501)
Will I have time to take elective courses?
Yes! Any additional credit hours beyond M.T.S. requirements are electives. You may use these to:
- Sample a range of curricular offerings.
- Concentrate your electives within a certain field of study.
Before you choose electives, we suggest you:
- Peruse our elective options in the catalog.
- Meet with your academic advisor, the director of the Master of Theological Studies program.
Is the M.T.S. paper something I can start at any time?
The M.T.S. paper:
- Is a final paper requiring in-depth research in a particular discipline.
- In some cases it may involve creating a substantial artistic product (play, poem cycle, etc.) and writing an accompanying theological reflection.
What is the process for completing it?
- Work with the M.T.S. director to identify an appropriate advisor/reader for your topic in the Spring before your final year.
- Enroll in Course IS-501 in the Fall or Spring of your final year.
- Submit a proposal with your reader's signature to the M.T.S. director by October 15th of your final year.
- Consult MTS paper proposal guidelines for additional information.
Link to MTS Paper Proposal Form
Link to MTS Paper Proposal Guidelines
In cooperation with American University’s School of International Service (SIS), Wesley offers the Master of Theological Studies degree in conjunction with a Master of Arts in International Development or Peace and Conflict Resolution.
The program’s cooperation allows students to complete two degrees (worth about 100 required credits taken separately) in just 75 credit hours, or as little as two and one-half years.
Courses from each institution are required, and electives allow students to specialize or broaden their studies.
Learn more about our dual degree programs: