As a degree seeking student, you may take 9 or more credit hours as a full-time student or 5-8 credit hours as a part-time student.
The newly re-designed Master of Divinity at Wesley will prepare you for a lifetime of fruitful leadership. Our 81-hour M.Div. is flexible and theologically rich, equipping you to serve a church, the chaplaincy or a missional ministry setting. Our specialized approach fosters self-motivated, self-directed, self-correcting lifelong learners.
Opportunities to Specialize
- Community Engagement Program enhances students' learning in areas of applied theology and ministry praxis, experiential learning and theological reflection, and their identity as church leaders engaged in transforming the community toward the shape of God's reign. Community Engagement Fellows are expected to declare a specialization in either the Missional Church Program, Urban Ministry Program, or Public Theology.
- Student Pastor Program provides appointments in the mid-Atlantic region, campus commuter housing and a carefully shaped class schedule
- Certificate in Theology and the Arts gives you theological grounding and arts practice to explore the profound connection between the arts and faith.
Wesley's Master of Arts program provides a strong theological foundation and a deeper understanding of your faith. It fits many academic needs, whether you are pursuing ministry as part of your vocation or for personal growth.
The Master of Arts program allows you to design a personalized degree plan to prepare you for for your specialized ministry. Wesley enhanced the Master of Arts degree to be foundational and intentionally flexible to meet a wide range of needs and interests. This 36-hour degree can be completed within one year with full-time study.
The M.A. is the optimal degree for you if you are seeking:
- a theological degree for a denomination that does not require a Master of Divinity degree
- to fulfill basic graduate theological studies requirements for deacon ordination in The United Methodist Church
- to deepen your faith and strengthen your theological foundation
Our 60-hour Master of Theological Studies (MTS) moves general theological understanding to a self-designed focus that prepares you to reflect faithfully. The MTS degree requires 60 credit hours and a thesis project, which can be completed in two years of full-time study.
The MTS provides:
- a strong theological understanding that equips you to participate more effectively in the mission of the church.
- multi-disciplinary education, especially if you are entering or engaged in other professions and wish to pursue your work from the enlarged perspective of a religious community.
- background in the theological disciplines as a foundation for further graduate study
- a structure for meeting certification requirements for various types of lay ministry
Combined Degrees that Change the World
Wesley has partnered with American University's School of International Service to offer these innovative and high-impact dual degree options.
MTS/MA in International Peace and Conflict Resolution - Requires 72 hours of coursework
MTS/MA in International Development - Requires 75 hours of coursework