Devotion to Jesus: The Divinity of Christ in Earliest Christianity
This course takes on revisionist accounts of how and when the first Christians came to believe in Jesus as the divine son of God. Dr. Larry Hurtado, one of the world’s leading authorities on early Christianity, challenges misrepresentations of Christian origins, such as the notion that belief in Jesus’ divinity arose decades after his death, or the idea that Christianity is an invention of the apostle Paul. Dr. Hurtado demonstrates that the true story of the early Christians’ devotion to Jesus is much more amazing.
- Introduction to Jesus Devotion (26:19)
- Roman & Jewish Backgrounds (18:53)
- Jesus in the Letters of Paul (24:12)
- Jesus in Jewish Christianity (23:12)
- Jesus in the Synoptic Gospels (23:13)
- Jesus in the Gospel of John (21:48)
- The Costs and Consequences of Jesus Devotion (21:32)
- How Did It Happen? What Does It Mean for Today? (22:44)
Devotion to Jesus is a more academically-oriented course that will be appreciated most by those with some background in biblical studies, such as graduates of the Disciple Bible Study program.