Spring Housing Process for Current (Permanent) Residents

Graduating, Notice of Intent to Vacate, Renewal, or Request for Changes


All housing contracts will expire at the conclusion of the Spring 2015 semester, and require renewal. Those students who will not be renewing their contracts are required to vacate on the following dates:

NRH (Permanent) Residents - Friday, May 8, 2015 by 12:00 noon.
Carroll Residents - Friday, May 15, 2015 by 12:00 noon.
Birch Residents - Tuesday, June 30, 2015 by 12:00 noon.


Once a year, beginning in March and typically closing in early April, current residents must notify the Housing Office of their housing plans beyond the end of the Spring semester. Students must do so by completing and submitting an online form indicating their plans for May and beyond. Changes after this notification are discouraged, but must be discussed with the Housing Director. Residents must indicate one of the four possible housing intentions. Please see below for more detail regarding each.

Graduating Students

Current residents who will be completing their studies and participating in the Monday, May 11, 2015 Commencement celebration must indicate that they are graduating on their Housing Renewal Form. Graduating residents of the NRH are eligible for a move-out extension of Monday, May 11, 2015 at 10:00am. Unfortunately, we are unable to grant extensions beyond this date and time due to the Doctor of Ministry check-in, which is scheduled for the evening of Monday, May 11, 2015. Graduating residents of Carroll awaiting appointment in the United Methodist Church may request a housing extension through Tuesday, June 30, 2015. Graduating residents of Carroll with children enrolled in a DC Public School may request a housing extension through Sunday, June 21, 2015. Graduating residents of Birch are eligible to shorten their housing contract to vacate campus housing Sunday, May 31, 2015. Failure to notify the Housing Office of graduation status could hold up the housing deposit return process.

Notice of Intent to Vacate

Current (non-graduating) residents who are planning on permanently vacating their housing must do so in conjunction with their rental contract. NRH residents are scheduled to vacate their space on Friday, May 8, 2015 by 12:00 noon. Carroll residents must vacate their space on Friday, May 15, 2015 by 12:00 noon. Birch residents must vacate their space on June 30, 2015 by 12:00 noon. Students should complete the form to indicate their intent to vacate their space. Failure to give notice of intent to vacate could result in a withheld housing deposit.


Current residents who wish to maintain their exact current housing assignment may do so either continuously (so long as they maintain eligibility), or in the NRH, after vacating for summer terms to return for Fall 2015. If vacating for summer terms, NRH residents must vacate their space in conjuction with the housing contract (see dates listed under Notice of Intent to Vacate, above). Students will need to complete the Housing Renewal Form to notify the Housing Office of their desire to renew (or to return, if vacating for summer) and indicate appropriate terms.

Is your roommate leaving? That's okay. You can renew your current housing arrangement and we will assign a new roommate to you. Or, you can select another current resident to be your new roommate instead of having one assigned to you. In that case, you and your roommate should decide which room you'd like to share (either your current assignment or your desired roommate's current assignment). The current occupant of the room you'd like to share would then complete the renewal form and select 'housing renewal,' and the occupant who will be relocating should indicate a requested housing change.

Requesting a change

Current residents who would like to remain in campus housing but would like to request a change to their current housing assignment (for example, moving from an NRH double occupancy to a single occupany, a single occupany to an efficiency apartment in Carroll, or a Carroll one-bedroom to a Carroll two-bedroom, etc) may also do so on the Housing Renewal Form. Please indicate your request and know that these requests are made in order of both receipt and need (if you are a single student requesting a two-bedroom apartment, you will not be assigned to a two-bedroom apartment even if your application is submitted before others').  Please also know that Wesley will not allow a lateral move (for example, moving from a Carroll one-bedroom to a different Carroll one-bedroom apartment).  The one exemption to this policy would be if a resident completely vacated his or her space for the summer terms and moved back in as a new resident in the Fall.

Additionally, students who are requesting to move in with a specific roommate are asked to indicate a housing change request. However, if you would like for a new roommate to move in with you (into your current assignment), you should indiciate a renewal while your desired roommate should indicate a housing change request.

All requests will be considered once the Housing Renewal window has closed in April. Students will be notified of any new housing assignments by email and move-in arrangements made following that. Carroll re-assignments (for housing change requests) are typically made for Summer II or Fall to allow time for a complete turnover.

Wesley Theological Seminary   Wesley Theological Seminary  |   4500 Massachusetts Avenue, NW  |  Washington, DC 20016  |  PH: 202.885.8600  |  FX: 202.885.8605  |   Privacy
Web Site Management Sign-in | Wesley's Facebook Page Wesley Theological Seminary on Twitter Wesley Theological Seminary on Flickr Wesley Theological Seminary on Google Plus!