Ministry Settings Frequently Asked Questions

What types of institution may be a teaching setting?
Our teaching settings consist of churches, hospitals, not-for-profit agencies, schools, nursing homes, hospices, and campus ministries.

How can our church or agency become a teaching setting?
In order to be considered as a teaching setting, you must complete a Teaching Congregation and Ministry Setting Profile Application and return to our office in December. The Profile Application can be downloaded here from the website.

When do PMM Placements begin? 
Fall PMM placements begin in August.  Summer PMM placements begin in June.

When is the deadline for the student and setting to be matched?
Fall PMM placements are determined by May 1 of each year for the following fall semester.  Summer PMM placements are determined by March 1 of each year for the following summer.

What are the requirements for becoming a teaching setting?
Your setting must be willing to commit to ensuring that all students have an opportunity to grow in all aspects of ministry. Your setting must be willing to:

  • Establish a Learning Team which consists of the student, a clergy partner, and a lay person from the church or agency.
  • This Learning Team is required to attend a mandatory orientation that is held during the summer prior to the student's placement. (Learning teams who have summer interns are not required to attend the on-campus orientation session.  Your orientation to the program will be varied.)

What are the responsibilites for the Clergy Learning Partner and the Lay Learning Partner?
We emphasize the importance of clergy and laity working in concert within our program because it is consistent with the composition of the church.  Hence, the responsibilies of both learning partners are exactly the same:    both clergy and laity are required to attend a summer orientation session with the student; help the student fulfill their learning goals; participate in monthly theological reflection; and participate in the year-end evaluative process.

What are the requirements for becoming a clergy learning partner?
A clergy learning partner must be someone who is fully ordained in their respected denomination. Learning Partners should have been in their positions for more than one year as well as completed their seminary education or graduate studies.  The prospective learning partner must be willing to attend a one day orientation in the summer with the student prior to the student beginning his/her placement.  (Clergy Learning Partners who have summer interns are not required to attend the on-campus orientation session.  Your orientation to the program will be varied.)

What are the requirements of the Lay Learning Partner? 
Laity comprises of people who are of every walk of life.  The wealth comprised of the laity lies within its diversity, gifts and talents that is offered to the local church or agency.  Therefore, there are no specific requirements of the lay learning partner other than that which has been outlined above for the clergy learning partner.

What is the commitment time?  
Masters of Divinity students are required to complete 4 academic semesters.  These semesters begin in the last week of August and continue through the end of April. This does include both Christmas and Easter holidays, but students can arrange a two week vacation during the year.  Students who opt to fulfill a portion of their PMM in the summer are required to be in their setting for 10 weeks; 40 hours per week.

What if I don't have any experience partnering with a student?
The Practice in Ministry and Mission Program is committed to ensuring that all learning partners have the necessary tools to supervise students throughout their placement. The orientation will help you learn what you need to do. You will have access to a site visit each year and the support of the Practice in Ministry and Mission faculty. Also, the Practice in Ministry and Mission Handbook is a written resource for you.

Is our teaching setting allowed to have more than one student?
Yes. However, each student must have their own lay learning partner assigned to them and this request should be submitted to the PMM office. Additional paperwork will be required.

Is our teaching setting required to pay the intern?
No, the PMM Program does not require teaching settings to pay the students.  However, if you are willing to pay a stipend to the student throughout their placement, you are free to do so.

If my teaching setting is in pastoral transition, can I host a student intern? The PMM Handbook states that clergy partners “should not be in their first year of service or appointment in that setting.”  Clergy partners must have been in their leadership positions for at least one year prior to the start of a potential internship. 

Additional questions may be directed to Wesley's PMM Office at (202) 885-8666.



Wesley Theological Seminary   Wesley Theological Seminary  |   4500 Massachusetts Avenue, NW  |  Washington, DC 20016  |  PH: 202.885.8600  |  FX: 202.885.8605  |   Privacy
Web Site Management Sign-in | Wesley's Facebook Page Wesley Theological Seminary on Twitter Wesley Theological Seminary on Flickr Wesley Theological Seminary on Google Plus!