Youtha Hardman-Cromwell is a member of Trinity United Methodist Church in Alexandria District. She specializes in contextual education and homiletics and brings this passion to bear through her leadership in Wesley Theological Seminary's Practice for Ministry and Mission program. Her current projects include manuscripts on:
- Images in Sermons;
- 19th Century African American Preaching; and
- The Meaning of Marriage in our Religious Tradition.
- George Washington University, B.S.
- Troy State, M.S.
- University of Virginia, Ed.S.
- Howard University School of Divinity, M.Div.
- The American University, Ph.D.
- "Imaging the Sermon," in The African American Pulpit, Winter 2002-2003, pp. 18-20.
- Book review in Quarterly Review 21:4, Winter 2001, 432 of Preaching to Head and Heart, by Thomas R. Swears, Nashville: Abingdon, 2000.
- "Case Study: Service and Survival" with Sue Zabel
- In Transforming the City: Reframing Education for Urban Ministry. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmanns Publishing Company, 2002.
- "Response" in Connecting with Today's Theological Students: A Collection of Presentations. Washington, D. C: The Washington Theological Consortium, Fall 2001.
- "Spirituality and Sexuality: Both or Neither," in Shaping Sanctuary. Chicago: RCP, 2000, pp. 5-8.
- "'Freedom From" In Negro Preaching of the Nineteenth Century," AQT Special Issue "The Pulpit Leads the World." December 2000, pp. 277-295.
- "Make It Plain: Make It Portable: Effective Sermon Images," Quarterly Review, Summer 2000, pp. 199 -215.
- "Not In My Church," a case study in Journal for Case Teaching, Number 9, 1997/98, pp. 59-63.
- FaithLink and FaithNow, United Methodist Publishing House Adult Christian Education Weekly Publication, Since July 1995 I have researched or written an issue once a month (January 1998 issue: "Sound or Silence").
- "Young, Gay, Dead: Suicide in Homosexual Teenagers" Open Hands, Summer 1997.
- "If Mary Came Again" (December 1999)," Experiencing Joy" (December 1997), and "Come Before Winter" (December 1996), The Trumpeter, Trinity United Methodist Church.
- "Using Maps With Children," Children's Teacher, Church School Publications, The United Methodist Publishing House, Spring, 1997.
- "Change is Coming: How Shall We Respond?" in Virginia United Methodist Advocate, p. 5, November 24, 1994.
- "Interrogation and Accusation, "March 31, 1995 Meditation in Liberation and Unity 1995, Princeton, N.J.: Consultation on Church Union, 1994.
- "Living in the Intersection: Black Women Writers," in Living the Intersection, Cheryl Sanders, ed., Augsburg, Fortress, 1994.
- "Power and Sexual Abuse in Ministry," Journal of Religious Thought, Volume 48, Number 1, Summer-Fall 1991.