- Morehouse College, B.A.
- Union Theological Seminary, New York, M.Div., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- James Baldwin’s Understanding of God: Overwhelming Desire and Joy. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Dogged Strength within the Veil: Africana Spirituality and the Mysterious Love of God. Harrisburg: Trinity Press International, 2003.
- No Difference in the Fare: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Problem of Racism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans Publishing, 1998.
- African Theology: A Critical Interpretation and Annotated Bibliography. Westport: Greenwood Press, 1993.
- A Pan-African Theology: Providence and the Legacies of the Ancestors. Trenton: Africa World Press, 1992.
- Black and African Theologies: Siblings or Distant Cousins? Maryknoll, New York: Orbis Books, 1986.
Articles, Book Chapters, Encyclopedia Entries:
- "An African-American Perspective on an Experience of Incomparable Value," in Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Jahrbuch 2, 2005-2006, edited by Christian Gremmels, Hans Pfeifer and Christiane Tietz (München: Gütersloher Verlagshaus, 2005).
- "Farrakhan, Louis," in The Encyclopedia of New England, ed. By Burt Feintuch and David H. Waters. New Haven: Yale University, 2005.
- "Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz)," in The Encyclopedia of New England, ed. By Burt Feintuch and David H. Waters. New Haven: Yale University, 2005.
- "Nation of Islam," in The Encyclopedia of New England, ed. By Burt Feintuch and David H. Waters. New Haven: Yale University, 2005.
- Introduction to Whose Good? Whose Commons?, in In Search of the Common Good, ed. by Patrick D. Miller and Dennis P. McCann. New York: T&T Clark, 2005.
- Good is Knowing When to Stop: Denucleation and the End of Privilege,in In Search of the Common Good, ed. by Patrick D. Miller and Dennis P. McCann. New York: T&T Clark, 2005.
- Those Who Belong to Christ and the This-Worldly Character of the New Creation,' in Wesleyan Perspectives on the New Creation, ed. by M. Douglas Meeks. Nashville: Kingswood/Abingdon, 2004.
- Envisioning the Son of Man. Black Theology: An International Journal, January, 2.1, 2004.
- Distinguishing Sterility from Fecundity in the Wesleyan Tradition, in Methodist and Radical: Rejuvenating a Tradition, ed, by Joerg Rieger and John J. Vincent. Nashville: Kingswood/Abingdon, 2003.
- Wesleyan Faith: A Contemporary Reflection. Quarterly Review, Spring, 23.1, 2003.
- Looking Forward Rather Than Backward. Quarterly Review, Winter 2001.
- Existential Aptness-Epistemological Correctness: Cornel West and the Identity of the Lord, in The Cornel West Reader, ed. by Gerald Yancy. New York: Blackwell Publishers, 2001.
- Dogged Strength within the Veil: African-American Spirituality as a Literary Tradition. The Journal of Religious Thought, Spring-Fall, 55,6 and 56,1, 2000.
- Is the White Christ, Too, Distraught by These Dark Skins His Father Wrought?: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Problem of the White Christ. Perspectives in Religious Studies, Fall, 26,3, 1999.
- Some Assumptions and Implications Regarding John Wesley's View of the Trinity: The Root of All Vital Religion. Quarterly Review, 18,2, 1998.
- Beatitude, Suffering, and Ethnicity: The Gospel Train's A-Coming, in Mission Evangelism Series, No. 2, ed. ST Kimbrough. New York: General Board of Global Ministries, 1998.
- "A Curious Thing: The Assault on Affirmative Action and the Battle of the Gods." Theology and Public Policy. 7,2, 1995.
- "Nobody Knows But Jesus." The Living Pulpit, 4,2, April - June, 1995.
- "Betwixt and Between Neoorthodoxy and Afrocentrism: A Simple Call to Freedom." Journal of Religious Thought, 51,1 1994.
Braving the Masters of Suspicion Dietrich Bonhoeffer James Baldwin As Social Critic and Theologian PMM: Practice in Ministry and Mission Colloquy Philosophical Backgrounds Systematic Theology 1 Systematic Theology 2 The Art of Toni Morrison and the Problem Of Theodicy The Black Theology of James Cone